We’re firm believers that keeping fit is really important for any skier; if you are in great physical shape then you’re going to enjoy your skiing no matter what challenges are thrown at you, plus staying fit is widely recognized as being great for mental health and general wellbeing.
We’ve pulled together our favourite 5 Apps that can help keep you ski fit throughout the year.
1) SkiFit – SkiFit is a fantastic free app that offers a programme designed for anyone to get in shape for their skiing holiday. Neil Maclean-Martin is a physiotherapist and clinical expert who has designed 60-minute + workouts that can be done anywhere. The full programme lasts eight weeks and each week builds on the last so make sure you complete the programme week by week. This app is suitable for everyone and the full programme costs £12.99.
2) Zwift – This app is for keen cyclists and runners who want to train with other athletes from all over the world. Not only does it provide virtual training for runners and cyclists allowing them to smash their own goals; but it’s also fantastic for those with a competitive streak who want to compete with other cyclists from around the globe. Most cyclists say that the virtual environments, structured workouts and social group rides have helped make indoor training more exhilarating. You get a 25km free trial (which doesn’t go very far!) before you need to sign up for the app – it’s then a monthly subscription costing approximately £14 per month and it is free for runners. Be aware – you do need an indoor turbo trainer or treadmill to use this app.
3) Runcoach – Cardio is key to keeping fit and this app is a fantastic way of creating a workout schedule that is easy to stick to. The app provides the perfect platform to help you build your own running goals where you can easily record your personal statistics on your schedule; then a special algorithm will customise guidance for how best to train. If you want to go one step further and get a personalised coach then you can upgrade for £15 a month. The upgraded version of the app will give you the ability to reach out to USATF-certified world-class coaches who can help with all aspects of your training, any injuries and nutrition advice.
4) Glo – This app is fantastic for anyone who loves Yoga or wants to improve their flexibility. It has 16 different styles of yoga, Pilates and meditation to get practicing. If you read the reviews from the users – then all you’ll see is praise for the instructors and their classes. You can download the classes to your phone so that you can practice offline so there’s no need to worry about the wifi connection going midway through a session. They give you the first two weeks as a trial; and then it costs approximately £20 per month.
5) 7 Minutes – for anyone in a rush or has limited time in the day, you can do this 7-minute workout each day. This app is completely free to download and use at your leisure. It has exercises to help target what area you want to work on – abs, legs, arms, full body – it’s got everything covered! Although the workouts are designed to be 7-minute long; you do have unlimited use of how many you want to do per session. The app is so descriptive in how to do the exercises properly and no equipment needed. Best of all, it’s only seven minutes!
For more info on getting fit for skiing, as well as details of our specially created ski fit programme, visit our Ski Fitness page.
For any future advice on how to get fit for skiing or to make a heli skiing enquiry then please do get in touch with one of our heli ski specialistic by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on +44 (0)207 736 8191
And remember, before taking on any new physical programme we do suggest that you warm up and cool down – and don’t forget your mobility work!